When a death occurs we can be contacted any time of the day or night. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Even if you have given our contact information to a hospital or nursing care facility, it is wise to call us directly to communicate that your loved one has died. Often there is a time delay between the time of death and when your loved one is actually released into our care from the place of death.
During your initial contact with us we will ask a few questions,
- Who has died?
- Where is the body now?
- What is your relationship to the deceased?
- Where can we contact you?
Perhaps most importantly we will set up a time for a meeting to gather as a family to make funeral arrangements for your loved one that has died. Arrangements that reflect the wishes of the deceased and meet the needs of the living.
- Do you have an idea of what type of arrangements your family will be seeking?
- Do you have any spiritual or family support? Any church connection?
- Do you know if your loved one had a will?
Who are the executors?
Depending on the time between your call and the arranged meeting we may ask if your family gives their verbal permission for embalming to take place. If you are unsure or need more information we can wait until the arrangement meeting takes place.
What to bring along to an arrangement meeting?
- Full Name of Deceased
- Full Current Address of Deceased
- Birth Date and Place for Deceased
- What was the deceased’s occupation? (prior to retirement if applicable)
- What was the deceased’s marital status?
- What are the deceased’s Parents Names (including mothers maiden name)
- Parents place of birth
- Social insurance number for Deceased
- Current Picture for identification and appearance (if applicable)
- Clothing – everything a person normally wears including undergarments (shoes are optional)
- Name and Address of Executor
- Contact name and number for person to lead a service (if known)
- Social Insurance Number of Spouse (this may assist with CPP benefits if applicable)
*Of course it is not necessary to bring all of these items in at the time of arrangements. If they are available, that is helpful. If not, we will work with you to complete all documentation and planning.
Please do contact us by filling in the form below: